Household Brigade Lodge No 2614 is a Freemasons’ Lodge, which draws its membership from serving and retired Officers of the Household Brigade.

Household Brigade Lodge holds three meetings a year, during the evening of the first Tuesdays in March, October and December.

Following the Meetings, members and guests then dine at one of the Clubs in St James’s.

Today, as it has done for over 125 years, Household Brigade Lodge provides a convivial atmosphere for members and visitors to enjoy Freemasonry and to continue their association with the Household Brigade.

With their shared culture of tradition and ceremony, as well as their principles of respect, integrity and trust, it is not surprising that there have been close links between Freemasonry and members of the Armed Forces since the earliest days of organised Freemasonry.


Household Brigade No 2614 was granted a Warrant on 30th April 1896 and consecrated on 14th May 1896, originally for Officers who had held Regular Commissions in the Household Brigade. Since then the membership has been extended to include Officers with any Commission of three years or more in the two Household Cavalry and five Foot Guards Regiments, Officers attached to those aforementioned and sons of Regimental members.

The Lodge was consecrated by The Most Worshipful Pro Grand Master The Earl of Lathom in the presence of The Most Worshipful Grand Master His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, the first and Permanent Master Designate, who subsequently remained Permanent Master of the Lodge until his accession to the Throne in 1901.  On becoming King, he graciously agreed to become Patron of the Lodge.

On 31st May 1897, His Royal Highness The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, Scots Guards, became a Joining Member and later took up the position of Permanent Master of the Lodge in 1908 and so remained until his death in 1942.

HRH The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (left) and King Edward VII (right).

During His Royal Highness The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn’s time as Permanent Master:

  • on 25th March 1912, His Royal Highness Prince Arthur of Connaught was elected Honorary Member and was Raised in that Meeting;
  • on 29th November 1919, Captain Viscount Lascelles, later Earl of Harewood, Grenadier Guards, became a Joining Member;
  • on 2nd May 1919, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, Grenadier Guards, was Initiated, then Passed on 30th May 1919 and Raised on 3rd July 1919;
  • on 25th April 1921 His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales was Installed as Worshipful Deputy Master, in presence of His Royal Highness The Duke of York, Scots Guards;
  • on 23rd November 1936, His Royal Highness The Duke of York became a Joining Member.
The Prince of Wales,
later King Edward VIII
The Duke of York,
later King George VI

On 14th May 1946, The Most Worshipful Grand Master The Earl of Harewood became Worshipful Master for the Lodge’s Jubilee Meeting, serving into his 2nd year as Worshipful Master before his death on 24th May 1947.

Of the many past members, two of particular note are: Field Marshal Earl Kitchener of Khartoum, Irish Guards; and Major General Sir Allan Adair, Grenadier Guards, General Officer Commanding The Guards Armoured Division during the World War II.

A Founders’ Jewel was struck incorporating designs from the founding regiments, namely The Life Guards, The Royal Horse Guards, The Grenadier Guards, The Coldstream Guards and the Scots Guards.

The Lodge was sponsored by Jerusalem Lodge No 197 and is, in turn, the Mother Lodge to the Lodge of Assistance No 2773 and the Old Wellingtonian Lodge No 3404. The wider lodge family tree can be found here.


Officers of the Household Brigade, present or past, who are interested in joining Household Brigade Lodge No 2614, or already Freemasons and would like to visit, please contact the Secretary.