Household Brigade No 2614 was granted a Warrant on 30 April 1896 and consecrated on 14 May 1896, originally for Officers who had held Regular Commissions in the Household Brigade. Since then the membership has been extended to include Officers with any Commission of three years or more in the two Household Cavalry and five Foot Guards Regiments, Officers attached to those aforementioned and sons of Regimental members.
The Lodge’s consecration in 1896 was presided over by Field Marshal HRH The Prince of Wales, Grenadier Guards, who became the first permanent Master of the Lodge and remained so until he ascended the throne as King Edward VII in 1901. King Edward VII’s brother, HRH The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, became permanent Master of the Lodge in 1908 and held that position until 1942.
During those years, HRH The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) was initiated into the Lodge in 1919 and HRH The Duke of York (later King George VI), having been initiated into Navy Lodge in 1919, became a member in 1936.
Of the many past members, others of particular note are: Field Marshal Earl Kitchener of Khartoum, Irish Guards; Colonel The Earl of Harewood, Grenadier Guards, son-in-law of King George V; and Major General Sir Allan Adair, Grenadier Guards, General Officer Commanding The Guards Armoured Division during the World War II.
A Founders’ Jewel was struck incorporating designs from the founding regiments, namely The Life Guards, The Royal Horse Guards, The Grenadier Guards, The Coldstream Guards and the Scots Guards.
The Lodge was sponsored by Jerusalem Lodge No 197 and is, in turn, the Mother Lodge to the Lodge of Assistance No 2773 and the Old Wellingtonian Lodge No 3404. The wider lodge family tree can be found here.